Tim Curry's death was a blow to many. Admittedly, he had not been doing well for some time, so it wasn't wholly unexpected. But, at the same time, I think it hurt that much more because it came a day after losing musician, actress, philanthropist, and national treasure Dolly Parton.
I've always admired the hell out of Dolly Parton, particularly for her philanthropic work, particularly when it came to children's literacy. And while she made headlines for her substantial charitable donations, I get the impression that there was so much more she did behind the scenes--anonymously--that we'll never know about and that makes me admire her even more.
As a person, she never ceased to put a smile on my face. Whenever I saw an interview with her, she would always crack a joke or three, often at her own expense, famously pointing out that it cost a lot of money to make her look that cheap. It was hard not to love her.
I always appreciated her humility. Initially, she turned down induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame because she felt that she was primarily a country artist. I've always felt that anyone who turns down an honour because they genuinely feel they're not worthy of it is someone to be respected. (SPOILER ALERT: She "paid her dues" and recorded a rock album with a lot of rock based special guests and then agreed to be inducted.)
In spite of that, I must confess, it's only been in the last ten years or so that I've been able to appreciate her work as a musician. I know I'm in the minority, but I never particularly cared for her voice. I don't know what it was exactly--there were plenty of singers who had similar qualities to their voices and I didn't dislike them! As I said, it has grown on me in recent years, and I can appreciate it a lot more than I used to.
But I tended to enjoy her acting work in such films as The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas and Steel Magnolias as well as the occasional television appearance, usually playing herself. (If you've never seen Seth MacFarlane's sci-fi/comedy "The Orville," I can't recommend it highly enough--even though it takes place centuries in the future, she actually appeared in one episode of the third season as herself--long story, you kind of have to see it.)
Like I said, this week's film choice is an obvious one, but when one thinks of Dolly Parton as an actress, this is usually the first film that gets mentioned--no doubt because it was actually her first film. Co-star Jane Fonda actually picked her to play the role of Doralee Rhodes. In addition to playing Doralee, she also wrote the title song to the film, receiving her first of two Oscar nominations for Best Original Song in a Motion Picture.
In the film, Parton, Fonda, and Lily Tomlin play office co-workers who have had it with their "sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot" of a boss (played as only Dabney Coleman could play him). Through an extraordinarily comic turn of events that involves not just undermining his authority, but also accidental poisoning, kidnapping, and humiliation, they get to live out everyone's fantasy of getting even with a bad boss--especially if you were a woman in the late 1970s and early 1980s.
Released in 1980, the film was directed by Colin Higgins who also co-wrote the film with Patricia Resnick. Co-starring Elizabeth Wilson, Lawrence Pressman, Henry Jones, and the great Sterling Hayden, please enjoy 9 to 5.
Until next week, stay safe, be good to your neighbours, and please remember that if at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Yours in peace, love, and rock 'n' roll!
The Reverend Will the Thrill
No comments:
Post a Comment