If you really want to celebrate something, make it stand apart.
I've noticed that we tend to denote the passage of time, especially major anniversaries, in increments of five or ten. In the last couple of months, we celebrated the 250th anniversary of the birth of the U.S. and somberly commemorated the 25th anniversary of 9/11. This year also marks the 85th anniversary of Pearl Harbor, the 175th anniversary of the founding of the New York Times, as well as anniversaries divisible by five of the release of various albums, films and television programs--I've even highlighted a few of them in these weekly "sermons."
Admittedly, this does make it easier to keep track of time (especially when estimating)--if you're into that sort of thing, I don't judge. Although, I do find it comical that, in spite of this, we--at least we Americans--still refuse to embrace metric. Again--not judging. I'm just as guilty as any American.
I always appreciate it when anniversaries are observed that stand out because they aren't divisible by five and/or ten. I recently saw a video on Facebook advertising an upcoming re-issue of a classic album. This week's album is celebrating its 49th anniversary with a new edition featuring unreleased music and I couldn't be more pleased.
If nothing else, it prompted me to listen to the album again. I had almost forgotten how good it is. The artist's music--especially his early recordings--puts me in a weird state of mind and being. I'd call it "transportative," but I've only really been listening to him for about 25 years. It's not like I grew up listening to him. Yet, somehow, the albums of that era make me feel like I'm in that era again--even if I don't remember hearing it at the time.
I first became familiar with him because of his collaboration on a Paul McCartney album in 1989. But it was that album (Flowers in the Dirt) that inspired me to check out more of his work. In the years since, I've grown to appreciate his ability to go from classical to country to punk rock so effortlessly. If nothing else, it's given me a greater appreciation of my own eclectic tastes. So this week, in honour of its 49th anniversary, please enjoy Elvis Costello's 1977 debut album My Aim Is True.
Until next week, stay safe, be good to your neighbours, and please remember that if at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Yours in peace, love, and rock 'n' roll!
The Reverend Will the Thrill
No comments:
Post a Comment