15 August, 2026

The Reverend Will the Thrill Presents the Album of the Week!

Long-time readers of this blog--if, in fact, they exist--know that I'm something of an old-school romantic when it comes to certain things.  However, the older I get, and the more technology changes--and not always for the better, in my opinion--the harder it is to do.

One thing that I've been adamant about for many years now is that Bruce Springsteen, particularly with the E Street Band, sounds better in a vehicle with a stick shift.  I scientifically proved this in the spring of 2002.  (Actually, I think I technically proved it in the fall of 1998 with The Who, but I didn't understand what I was experiencing in the moment.)

In fact, I've come to believe that any type of "driving music" sounds better in a stick shift.  George Thorogood, ZZ Top, Meat Loaf, Blondie... even great jazz music.  There's something tactile and visceral about the whole experience.  Part of it is the art of matching the music with environmental elements like weather or time of day--certain things sound better in the rain or at night or in the autumn than they do at other times.  I realize not everyone thinks of or even notices these things, so you're just going to have to trust me on this: Leon Redbone is best appreciated on a sunny Sunday afternoon in October, especially if you're going to be driving while playing his music.

Again, I know I tend to romanticize these sorts of things.  But if you've never shifted into a higher gear when Roger Daltrey lets out that primal scream in "Won't Get Fooled Again," well... I guess you'll just never know.

As I stated last week, I don't have room for my entire music library on my phone.  So I like to play certain CDs, particularly during my work commute, that I might not listen to otherwise.  Often, it's something I haven't listened to in awhile--something I likely knew I wouldn't listen to all that much which is why it's not on the phone to begin with.  When I listen to those albums again, I'm often transported back to a time when I first heard it, often evoking a lot of memories of and nostalgia for the period, reminding me of why I bought the CD in the first place.

My clutch burned out about three years ago.  Those things are expensive to replace and I've never been able to afford to get it fixed.  So I've been driving my backup car ever since... you guessed it--an automatic.  Even after all this time, I still find myself occasionally trying to put my left foot on something that doesn't exist.  Sometimes, because I have exceptionally wide feet, I wind up with both feet on the brake causing somewhat violent stops.  But at least I still have a car with a working CD player, something that's almost as hard to find as a stick shift these days.

A few days ago, I grabbed something off the shelf for my morning commute that I hadn't played in quite awhile.  If I were to place a label on it, I suppose I would call it techno.  Not necessarily something I dislike, but not exactly my go-to musical preference either.  I remember when the album came out.  I was quite taken with the obvious blues and gospel influences, backed up by this heavy club beat.  As I was driving, I realized that even though I was driving an automatic, the music was actually quite perfect for the drive.  Not only that, but I'm going to go out on a very narrow limb and say that this particular album may actually sound better in an automatic.  If I ever again get access to a stick, I may have to test that theory.  In the meantime, this week, get in your car and please enjoy Moby with his 1999 album Play.

Just to reset my brain, I'll be taking next two weeks off from writing these.  Until I return, stay safe, be good to your neighbours, and please remember that if at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.

Yours in peace, love, and rock 'n' roll!

The Reverend Will the Thrill

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment